When winter throws snow, sleet and ice at you, and you need the fastest, most effective and versatile solution, look no further than Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter.
- Works very rapidly
- Ideal for melting ice and snow on driveways, walkways, and steps after a snowfall
- Can be used as an ice preventer if applied before freezing rain or a snowfall
- Easy to apply – works like a watering can
- No need to worry about tracking residue inside
Our Liquid Ice Melter is available at Loblaw, Canadian Tire and other retailers.
Sizes and benefits
- 4 L
- Works effectively at temperatures as low as -35 °C (-31 °F)
- Covers up to 74.3 m2 (800 ft2)
- Uniquely engineered delivery system that provides the optimal distribution pattern to maximize performance
- No residue that can be tracked into the home
- Clear formula – does not stain
- Makes shovelling easier
- Safe to use on many different surfaces when used as directed
Why it works
Liquid calcium chloride works well because it combines a low freezing point with a concentration that is higher than other liquid de-icers. It is ideal for anti-icing systems, which involve treating surfaces prior to a snow/ice event. This allows a proactive approach to snow fighting by applying the product on steps, sidewalks and driveways.
How and when to use
BEFORE A SNOWFALL
It will prevent the build-up of snow and ice and keep ice from bonding with the surface.
- Can be applied up to 48 hours before a snowfall or freezing rain but better results, 1 or 2 hours before is recommended.
- Recommended rate: 4L per 74.3m2 (800ft2).
- For optimal results, apply this product periodically after shovelling to prevent ice build-up on sidewalks.
How to apply
- Remove outer cap and retain for storage of remaining product.
- Tip bottle to apply directly to surfaces. Works just like a watering can!
Test a small inconspicuous area of the surface to be treated before full application.
AFTER A SNOWFALL
- Apply Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter to melt thin layers of ice and snow.
- Recommended rate: 4L per 10m2 (107ft2)
- In case of a large accumulation of snow, more than 5 cm (2 in), plow or shovel first.
- Apply Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter evenly on the surface.
- Remove melting snow and ice as soon as the melting action has loosened the ice.
- Reapply as needed to heavy areas of ice.
Recommended use for different types of snow
Dry powdery snow: Can be shoveled or swept and may not require the use of Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter.
Sleet /freezing rain: Apply Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter early to prevent the build-up of ice.
Wet/heavy snow:Apply Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter as soon as wet/heavy snow begins falling to prevent it from bonding.
Large accumulation of snow: Anytime the snowfall amounts to more than 5 cm (2 in), plow or shovel first. Then use Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter to melt the stubborn layer of ice or hard-packed snow that remains.
Can be used to remove:
- Black ice
- Sleet or freezing rain
- If bottle has been stored on side, sit bottle upright for a minute to allow liquid to drain back into bottle.
Where to use
Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter can be used safely on asphalt and gravel driveways.
Although Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter contains an anti-corrosion and anti-spalling agent formulated specially for concrete, some precautions need to be taken:
- Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter is recommended for use on good quality, air-entrained concrete designed for cold weather climates as specified by the Portland Cement Association.
- Melting snow/ice increases the frequency of the freeze/thaw cycles that can affect all surfaces. Poor quality surfaces may suffer some damage because of these cycles.
The potential for surface damage can be decreased by promptly removing slush as it is formed, especially on vulnerable surfaces such as:
- Concrete that is less than 1 year old
- Concrete with a pattern, stamped concrete and/or coloured concrete
- Stone or brick masonry (including flagstone)
- Precast concrete (steps or paving stones)
- Stone or concrete surfaces that are chipped, cracked, spalled or have exposed aggregate
- Wood surfaces (e.g. Deck)
Avoid excessive applications around vegetation or in areas where run-off flows onto grass or near trees, shrubs or gardens.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
MAY IRRITATE EYES AND SKIN. Do not get in eyes or on skin or clothing.
Contains calcium chloride.
- If swallowed, call a Poison Control Centre or doctor immediately.
- Do not induce vomiting.
- If in eyes, rinse with water for 20 minutes.
- Remove contact lenses if present. Hold eyelids open during rinsing.
- If on skin, rinse well with water.
- If eye or skin irritation persists, seek medical attention.
- Risk of frostbite if cold product touches bare skin.
- To help prevent the risk of slipping, wipe shoes/boots on a mat prior to walking on potentially slippery surfaces.
- DO NOT LET PRODUCT COME IN CONTACT WITH LEATHER.
Due to irregularities and inconstancies in finish and porosity of any concrete, use of ice melter may carry some risk of surface spalling. Seller makes no warranty, expressed or implied, concerning the use of this product. User then assumes all risk of loss or damage arising from use, handling, or the effects thereof.
Manufacturer and seller can accept no responsibility for injury to persons or animals or for loss or damage to concrete, plants, soil or other property resulting from use of this product.
Download the Safety Data Sheet for Liquid Ice Melter
Frequently asked questions about Alaskan's products
Will Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter work with a snowfall more than 2 inches thick?
Of course! It will not allow ice to form on the surface, making it easy to clear off the snow.
Is Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter safe for pets?
Yes, just keep animals off sidewalks, driveways, steps, etc. until the area has dried. We recommend using the Alaskan® Pet friendly Ice Melter for a complete peace of mind. Learn more on how ice melters affect your pets.
Can Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter be used on wet asphalt?
It would not be as effective as the water on the asphalt would dilute the product immediately.
Can Alaskan® Liquid Ice Melter affect car tires?
No, it has no effect on car tires.
TO PREVENT ICE AND SNOW
FOR A QUICK AND EASY WAY OF MELTING ICE OR SNOW