HOW TO USE ALASKAN® PET FRIENDLY
When the snow starts falling, you want an effective ice melter, but you also want to protect the delicate paws of your beloved pets. The new and improved Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter:
- Was developed in collaboration with a veterinarian
- Is gentle on your pet’s paws
- Works effectively at temperatures as low as -26 °C (-15 °F)
- Removes ice 2x faster*
*Compared to the previous Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter formulation.
Our Pet Friendly Ice Melter is available at Home Depot, Canadian Tire and other retailers.
Sizes and benefits
- 9-kg bag
- 4.5-kg spreader jug
- Works at temperatures as low as -26 °C
- Gentle on paws
- Gentle on vegetation and grass
- Safe for concrete if used as directed
- No residue that can be tracked into the home
- New ergonomic spreader jug
Why the product works
The new Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter formula was developed in collaboration with a veterinarian. It’s a blend of calcium chloride, sodium chloride and a hydrating agent that is safe for the paws of your furry friends.
How and when to use
- In case of a large accumulation of snow, more than 5 cm (2 in), plow or shovel first.
- Using our spreader jug, apply Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter evenly on the surface. Do not overapply and avoid piling.
- Remove melting snow and ice as soon as the melting action has loosened the ice. Do not pile melting snow and ice containing ice melter on grass or near trees, shrubs or gardens.
- Reapply as needed to heavy areas of ice.
RECOMMENDED USE FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF SNOW
Dry powdery snow: Can be shoveled or swept and may not require the use of ice melter.
Sleet /freezing rain: Apply Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter early to prevent the build-up of ice.
Wet/heavy snow: Apply Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter as soon as wet/heavy snow begins falling to prevent it from bonding.
Large accumulation of snow: Anytime the snowfall amounts to more than 5 cm (2 in), plow or shovel first. Then use Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter to melt the stubborn layer of ice or hard-packed snow that remains.
Can be used to remove:
- Black ice
- Sleet or freezing rain
- Hard-packed snow
- Keep bag/spreader jug tightly closed.
Prolonged storage in conditions of high humidity may cause the product to clump or liquefy.
Where to use
Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter can be used safely on asphalt and gravel driveways. When it comes to concrete, some precautions need to be taken.
- Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter is recommended for use on good quality, air-entrained concrete designed for cold weather climates as specified by the Portland Cement Association.
- Melting snow/ice increases the frequency of the freeze/thaw cycles that can affect all surfaces. Poor quality surfaces may suffer some damage because of these cycles.
- The potential for surface damage can be decreased by promptly removing slush as it is formed.
- If you are unsure of the quality of your concrete or the suitability of using an ice melter on your surface, use sand to reduce the risk of slips and falls.
- The use of Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter is done at the user’s own risk.
Alaskan® Pet Friendly Ice Melter is not recommended on the following surfaces:
- Concrete that is less than 1 year old
- Patterned, stamped and/or coloured concrete
- Stone or brick masonry (including flagstone)
- Precast concrete (steps or paving stones)
- Stone or concrete surfaces that are chipped, cracked, spalled or have exposed aggregate
- Not treated wooden surfaces such as decks
- Roofs or gutters
Before full application, we recommend testing a small, inconspicuous area of the surface to be treated to prevent any damage.
MAY IRRITATE EYES. Do not get in eyes.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
Contains calcium chloride.
If in eyes, rinse with water for 20 minutes. Remove contact lenses if present. Hold eyelids open during rinsing. If eye irritation persists, seek medical attention.
Download the Safety Data Sheet for Pet Friendly Ice Melter.
Download packaging information of:
- 9-kg bag : 056899423826
- 4.5-kg spreader jug: 056899423802
Frequently asked questions about Alaskan's products
Are ice melters safe to pets?
Yes! They are relatively safe to pets, but a few precautions should be taken to protect them as well as floors and carpets. Animals like salt, and it is a good idea to prevent pets from licking ice melter granules. Keep them indoors while the ice melter is being applied. To prevent pets from tracking residue on floors and carpets, keep a rag or towel near the door and wipe ice melter residue from their paws. Find out more on how ice melters affect your pets
GENTLE ON PAWS
WORKS DOWN TO -26 °C