HOW TO USE ALASKAN® PREMIUM ICE MELTER
When winter conditions make driveways and walkways slippery and dangerous, you need Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter.
Its NEW TRUEBLUE™ FORMULATION:
- Melts twice as much ice1
- Melts ice twice faster2
- Penetrates 2x deeper3
- Works at temperatures as low as -35 ᵒC (-31 ᵒF)4
1At a temperature of -20 °C, this product melts 2 times more ice than the previous Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter formula.
2Compared to previous Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter formula.
3After 10 minutes at -10 °C, the new Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter formulation penetrates the ice 2 times deeper than the previous formula.
4At a temperature of -35 °C, this product penetrates the ice, while the previous Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter formula did not.
Our Premium Ice Melter is available at Home Depot, Canadian Tire and other retailers.
Sizes and benefits
- 9-kg bag
- 18-kg bag
- 4.5-kg spreader jug
- 13.5-kg pail
- 22.5-kg bag
9-kg bag fills spreader jug twice.
18-kg bag fills spreader jug four times.
- Melts ice and snow quickly – at temperatures as low as -35 ᵒC (-31 ᵒF)
- When applied prior to a snowfall, prevents ice and snow from building up and ice from bonding with the surface.
- Our TrueBlue™ marker is even more visible, so you can more easily see where the product has been applied.
- Ideal for driveways, walkways and patios.
- Available in a spreader jug.
- Available in an airtight pail that can easily be stored.
Why the product works
Why is Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter so effective? Our patented TrueBlue™ technology adds a liquid de-icing agent to the sodium chloride (salt) and calcium chloride (CaCl2) flakes, which is called pre-wetting. What it means is that it jumpstarts the melting process and penetrates the snow and ice faster. What’s more, the product’s consistent, medium-sized granules break the ice-to-surface bond, allowing for the easy removal of ice, which has now turned to slush.
How and when to use
Before a snowfall, Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter can be applied up to 48 hours before a snowfall. It will prevent the build-up of snow and ice and keep ice from bonding with the surface.
AFTER A SNOWFALL:
- In case of a large accumulation of snow (more than 5 cm (2 in)), plow or shovel first.
- Using our spreader jug, apply Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter evenly on the surface. Do not overapply and avoid piling. Apply Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter at a rate of 50 to 100 g (¼ to ½ cup) per m².
- Remove melting snow and ice as soon as the melting action has loosened the ice. Do not pile melting snow and ice containing ice melter on grass or near trees, shrubs or gardens.
- Reapply as needed to heavy areas of ice.
RECOMMENDED USE FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF SNOW:
Dry powdery snow: Can be shoveled or swept and may not require the use of ice melter.
Sleet/freezing rain: Apply Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter early to prevent the build-up of ice.
Wet/heavy snow: Apply Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter as soon as wet/heavy snow begins falling to prevent it from bonding.
Large accumulation of snow: Anytime the snowfall amounts to more than 5 cm (2 in), plow or shovel first. Then use Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter to melt the stubborn layer of ice or hard-packed snow that remains.
Can be used to remove:
- Black ice
- Sleet or freezing rain
- Hard-packed snow
Keep container tightly closed. Prolonged storage in conditions of high humidity may cause product to clump or liquefy.
Where to use
Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter can be used safely on asphalt and gravel driveways. When it comes to concrete, some precautions need to be taken.
- Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter is recommended for use on good quality, air-entrained concrete designed for cold weather climates as specified by the Portland Cement Association.
- Melting snow/ice increases the frequency of the freeze/thaw cycles that can affect all surfaces. Poor quality surfaces may suffer some damage because of these cycles.
- The potential for surface damage can be decreased by promptly removing slush as it is formed.
- If you are unsure of the quality of your concrete or the suitability of using an ice melter on your surface, use sand to reduce the risk of slips and falls.
- The use of Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter is done at the user’s own risk.
Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter is not recommended on the following surfaces:
- Concrete that is less than 1 year old
- Patterned, stamped and/or coloured concrete
- Stone or brick masonry (including flagstone)
- Precast concrete (steps or paving stones)
- Stone or concrete surfaces that are chipped, cracked, spalled or have exposed aggregate
- Wooden surfaces such as decks
- Roofs or gutters
Test a small inconspicuous area of the surface to be treated before full application.
Due to irregularities and inconstancies in finish and porosity of any concrete, use of ice melter may carry some risk of surface spalling. Seller makes no warranty, expressed or implied, concerning the use of this product. User then assumes all risk of loss or damage arising from use, handling, or the effects thereof.
Manufacturer and seller can accept no responsibility for injury to persons or animals or for loss or damage to concrete, plants, soil or other property resulting from use of this product.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- May irritate eyes.
- Do not get in eyes.
- Contains calcium chloride.
- If in eyes, rinse with water for 20 minutes.
- Remove contact lenses if present.
- Hold eyelids open during rinsing.
- If eye irritation persists, seek medical attention
Download the Safety Data Sheet for Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter.
Frequently asked questions about Alaskan's products
Is Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter still good if it has solidified?
You can try and break it up with a mallet (while still in the bag). If it's in a jug or pail, it will most likely have to be thrown out. Always keep containers tightly closed. Learn more on how to store your ice melter during the summer.
Is Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter still good if it has liquefied?
It will most likely have to be thrown out. Liquefied Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter will still melt snow/ice, but it will be harder to spread and more likely to be over-applied.
What is the shelf life of a jug of Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter?
How can I store Alaskan® Premium Ice Melter during summer?
MELTS TWICE FASTER
WORKS AT COLDER TEMPERATURES THAN BEFORE